Tuesday, November 02, 2010

A Guide to Blindly Voting - 2010 Edition

Dateline: November 2, 2010 California Election (Orange County, City of Anaheim)

First of all, I apologize for not doing that guide to Yelp this week. I'll have it up as soon as I have some free time in the coming days. So just stay tuned.. Anyways..

Who's got the time and energy to pursue a PhD when everyone's busy working. You can't reseach each and every candidate in each and every race. You've got Governors, Senators, House of Representatives, State Senators, State Treasurer, the city Mayor and Councilmen, the school board, the even Judges. Heck, even if you tried to do the research, there's not a lot of information on candidates in the local races.

Rule of Thumb: When voting without doing extensive research vote with blinders on. It's the perfect strategy that will bring this country out of its doldrums.


Proceed with great prejudice towards third parties and independents. Pick anyone. ANYONE. Whatever you do, no matter how much you like a guy or gal, DO NOT VOTE Democrat or Republican.

And for those races that have only a Republican or Democrat listed, there's still space for a write-in. I'm writing Tommy Chong. He would seriously make a great candidate. Don't tell me I'm wasting my vote. You wasted your vote on a Republican or Democrat.

The toughest races are the local ones (City, Schools, Judges, etc). There's just not that much info on these folks. I'll google their names tomorrow and see what I come up with. It's like reviews for anything else (restaurants, dentists, shows, etc). Avoid the bad ones and go for the good ones! Worst case, you don't pick the worst ones, best case you pick the best ones.

As for the propositions, the sample ballot got me through 90% of them. The John and Ken website helped solve the other 10%. The only one I disagree with them on (and this shows their naive ideology towards lower taxes in general) is for lower taxes for corporations. The corporations want to clawback the taxes they've paid in the previous years. Well I don't think that's such a good idea. Plus it's not deserved.

Voting on California Propositions:
Proposition 19 - YES - Legalizes Marijuana in California. Makes perfect sense when 60% of drug cartel profits come just from marijuana. That's cutting them off at the pass!

Proposition 20 - YES - Redistrict Congressional Districts. This was tough but the Gerrymandering movie recommends yes to move the some of the power to draw voting districts.

Proposition 21 - NO - $18 Yearly Vehicle License "Surcharge". It's a tax to feed the politicians' coffers! So it's a definite no.

Proposition 22 - YES - Prohibits the State from commingling funds reserved for Transportation, Redevelopment, or Local Government Projects and Services with the General Fund. Shouldn't taxes paid specifically for transportation go towards transportation infrastructure instead of some pet project to give the homeless free apartments to live in?

Proposition 23 - YES - Suspends Implementation of Air Pollution Control Law (AB 32). This law was sourced from fraudulent or disingenuous research and representation. The state hired a guy who had fake qualifications (some PhD or such) and he wrote policy recommendations for the State, and the State pollution board knew they had hired a fake!

Proposition 24 - NO - Repeals Recent Legislation That Would Allow Businesses to Lower Their Tax Liability. Restated: Part of the scheme would allow Corporations to claw back their taxes from previous years. No way! Pay your fair share!

Proposition 25 - NO - Changes voting requirements to pass legislation from Two-Thirds to a Simple Majority for the State Legislature. No way! Keep at 2/3rds so they need 2/3rd to pass higher taxes! Less legislation the better!

Proposition 26 - YES - Some State and Local Fees must pass by 2/3rds vote. Good idea!

Proposition 27 - NO - Rids of State Commission on Redistricting. The movie gerrymandering recommends to keep this 14 member panel with powers to redistrict which will keep the power away from the politicians.

Anyways, more on the local races tomorrow..

PS: I noticed a whole lot more junk mail this year. Must be the free speech corporations kicking in donations. We received huge thick 1ft-1.5ft sheets of paper and brochures in the mail. It's funny cause all the candidates would send in the same size format and style format on the same day so the marketing wasn't all that effective in terms of sanding out.

For now, here are some great places to research and find out about 3rd party / independents for your area:
1) RonPaulForums.com - Local Activism
2) Liberty-Candidates.org (by states)
3) ReTakeCongress.com (Congressional Candidates)
4) TenthAmendmentCenter.com (Constitutionalists)

No comments:

Post a Comment